Week #38

Not walking weather
It was a hot week with temperatures in the high 90's and 100's which doesn't sound all that bad but combined with the humidity it makes walking outside like entering a sauna. And walking back into the air conditioned office like walking into a freezer. So we haven't been doing much walking lately. Yesterday evening the electricity went off a couple of times for a few seconds as we had thunderstorms. Mom asked me this morning if I had turned the thermostat up as it was set on 85 degrees. All I can think of is that the electricity going off goofed up the thermostat. We still slept well as the temperature only got to 77 degrees and it is running fine now.

There was even a bird's nest


Tuesday I had to make a bank deposit and since the cheap car wash is along the way I thought maybe I'd stop. I looked at the weather forecast and it said 8% chance of rain. I wasn't back to the office 30 minutes when we had a ten minute downpour. I didn't feel too bad as the car needed vacuuming more than washing.

Each month the office does a Housekeeping Zoom with all the missionaries. Sister Ethington and mom have given many suggestions on keeping their apartments clean. One suggestion has been that they clean the dryer vent every once in a while. We've about decided that most of these suggestions are completely ignored, hence the picture. The missionaries (zone leaders no less) said their dryer was taking too long to dry. The repairman took about 1 minute to find the problem and it cost $250 to install a new heating element. Missionaries...you got to love them.

It was an UGLY tie


Last Monday, July 24th, was the halfway point of our mission. Back in the day on my mission to Illinois, it was a tradition to cut a tie in half when you got to that point. I don't think that is done anymore (probably a good thing) but I thought we needed to do something to mark the occasion. The tie was one left in the office for any one to take and was ugly. I think I did the mission a favor by cutting it.

Monday evening was senior FHE. President Cato and his wife spoke and shared their conversion from the RLDS church. He was just released as the Independence stake president when we got here in November. They did a great job and were very informative. If I'm not mistaken, the new stake president is also a convert from the RLDS.

President Cato
Today's linger longer
We had another linger longer after church. One is planned for each 5th Sunday. I'm always surprised that enough food is brought to feed the crowd. Kind of like feeding the 5000. This time there was enough, but just barely. I told mom that if the branch continues to grow they will have to find another venue.

"But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved..."  Acts 15:11



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week #60

Week #71

Week #75